Pimander : Battle System
Playable characters have 4 moves with which to fight.
Beam (Magical Attack)
A ranged attack that inflicts rapid light hits and is difficult to block, but requires magic (the blue bar) to use.
- Magic is naturally recovered over time. This may be enhanced using your Meditate skill or by soaking incoming damage.
- Powersurge is a stronger attack that combines Beam and Meditate. Story characters get to learn this move, but others may start with it.
- Some characters are magic resistant and Beam attacks are useless against them.
Meditate (Magical Defence)
Restores the character’s health and magic together.
- Characters generally regenerate, but this way allows rapid recovery.
Close Quarters (Physical Attack)
Two light attacks followed by two heavy ones.
- The kicks leave the character open to attack but deliver heavy damage.
- The two light attacks can be juggled with the two light attacks from Counter-Block to deliver rapid hits with good block uptime, reducing the damage you take.
Counter-Block (Physical Defence)
Two light attacks that leave the character in a block stance.
- Blocked attacks do reduced damage at the cost of energy (the blue bar).
- Attacks that reduce energy to zero will cause full damage! Use this knowledge to crush your opponent’s defences.
- Blocking is more effective against physical attacks than Beams.
Characters also have some noteworthy movement skills.
The character’s jump is charged up and executes when the button is released, allowing for three types of jump: jump, high jump and boost jump.
- Boost Jumps were typical in Final Fantasy 7 limit breaks, though sadly there are no aerial attacks to go with it.
Use magic to fly across the surface of the ground.
- Movement speeds can be toggled between running/walking and flying/sprinting, but default to running and flying.
The battle system was designed to be compatible with a PlayStation controller as well as mouse and keyboard. The controller is connected to the PC with a simple USB dongle.
© 2014-2019 Tilveran.